Educating Students in a Changing World (ASCD Position Statement 2008)
As educators in the 21st century, we are charged with educating students to be successful in a complex, interconnected world. This responsibility requires schools to prepare students for technological, cultural, economic, informational, and demographic changes.
ASCD supports changes in teaching, learning, and leadership that adequately prepare students for the 21st century who
- Acquire and apply core knowledge and critical-thinking skill sets that are essential in an information age.
- Demonstrate creativity, innovation, and flexibility when partnering with business and community members to advance common goals.
- Make decisions and solve problems ethically and collaboratively.
- Use technology to gather, analyze, and synthesize information for application in a global economy.
- Exhibit positive interpersonal relationships that value multiple languages, cultures, and all persons.
- Display leadership skills that inspire others to achieve, serve, and work together.